
But still, he was just a dog. Or was he? On more than one occasion he doubled as the Daniels security force, just ask Shawn or a few of our neighbors. He may have looked scary, but there was no bite in his bark. Any neighborhood cat could scare him away in seconds.

He definitely calmed down towards the end of his life, and that made him even more enjoyable with the kids. The night before he died I came home to the sight of Isaac hugging Radar's neck in a death grip. Radar didn't flinch. Radar acted like that was his calling in life.

When Radar passed away, I don't think any of us realized how difficult it would be. At least I didn't. I keep having to remind myself that he was just a dog, and not even a house dog. Somehow it still stings.
The discussions that we have been able to have with Madison, Emma, and Isaac however have been Heaven sent. They have never experienced the death of a loved one, and this has provided that teaching opportunity without actually wading through those waters. Where they have three sets of grandparents and numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins they will undoubtedly have to pass through those experiences.
Well Radar, thanks for the memories, it was a ball. Lick on buddy, lick on.

Written by Kelly
Jen's comments: I think you should contribute to the blog more often, hun--I really like the Radar Memorial. I hope he's found some good friends up there to pal around with. We really miss him! PS--thanks Thom for the burial plot and Katie for the mumms that we forgot to take with us...
ReplyDeleteJust got back...that TOTALLY bums me out! That puts a damper on spring break! I wish we could have been here to bring a little cheer :) That was a sweet entry - makes me sad.
ReplyDeleteThat's a bummer! We have a dog, same as you, an outside dog. He is almost 8. I get annoyed by him on occasion, but I am sure the day he goes we all will be pretty sad as well. So sorry. I guess it is time to go dog shopping :)
ReplyDeleteOh, sad! My kids wish we had a dog! What good parents you are. I'm sorry he had to pass on!
ReplyDeleteOh no! :( This makes me sad, I loved Radar! He will be missed, I'm sure he's up there with Spike right now! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteHow sad...I'm sorry. Even though Kona drives me crazy, it'll be sad when she's gone, at least for the kids!
ReplyDelete